KBrO3, also known as potassium bromate, is a powerful oxidizing agent, and HCl (hydrochloric acid) is a strong acid. Let us examine the reaction between KBrO3 and HCl in detail.
Potassium bromate is an ionic salt and is available in a high state of purity. The addition of hydrochloric acid, which has a characteristic pungent smell, gives soluble salt and a gaseous product.
Here, we will discuss the reaction type, products, intermolecular forces, and enthalpy with detailed explanations.
What is the product of HCl and KBrO3
KBrO3 reacts with HCl to give potassium chloride (KCl), and Bromine (Br2) with the evolution of chlorine gas (Cl2). We also get water molecules as by-products.
KBrO3 + HCl → KCl + Cl2 + ر2 + H2O
What type of reaction is HCl+ KBrO3
The reaction between HCl and KBrO3 is a redox reaction. Here, Bromine is getting reduced and Chlorine is getting oxidized.
How to balance HCl + KBrO3
To balance the equation HCl+KBrO3, we will proceed in the following steps,
- We need to first indicate the elements undergoing oxidation and reduction respectively. Here, Bromine is getting reduced and chlorine is oxidized. The equations are divided into two halves
- 1. Oxidation: 2Cl- → Cl20 + O2-
- 2. reduction: 2Br+5 + O10- → ش20
- Equation 1 will be multiplied by 5 to balance the number of electrons on either side of the equation. The resulting equation becomes,
2 كيلو بايت3 +10HCl → KCl + 5Cl2 + ر2 + H2O
- The elements potassium, hydrogen, chlorine, and oxygen are further balanced using stoichiometric coefficients before them. The balanced equation is given by,
2 كيلو بايت3 +12HCl → 2KCl + 5Cl2 + ر2 + 6H+2O
HCl + KBrO3 المعايرة بالتحليل الكيماوي
Redox titration is used for the HCl-KBrO3 مزيج.
KBrO3 is a strong oxidizing agent which smoothly gets reduced to bromide in the presence of HCl and the bromide further oxidizes to give free bromine in the presence of excess bromate.
Conical flask, burette, pipette, funnel, volumetric flask.
The titrant is HCl and titre is KBrO3
The required solution of KBrO3 is prepared. The HCl is taken into the burette and KBrO3 is taken into the conical flask through the pipette. The HCl is added dropwise to the KBrO3 solution and the colorless solution gradually changes to a light brownish-yellow solution which marks the endpoint of the reaction.
HCl + KBrO3 صافي المعادلة الأيونية
To obtain the net ionic equation following steps are followed;
- Balance the equation by equating the number of elements at each side of the equation. The equation coefficients are added before KBrO3, HCl, KCl, Cl2, and water and we get the balanced equation as,
2 كيلو بايت3 +12HCl → 2KCl + 5Cl2 + ر2 + 6H+2O
- The phases or states of the compounds are indicated. Here, HCl, KBrO3, KCl, and Br2 are in the aqueous phase and Cl2 is in the gaseous phase.
2 كيلو بايت3(aq) +12HCl(aq) → 2KCl(aq) + 5Cl2(g) + Br2(ع) + 6 ح2O (ل)
- The strong electrolytes are split into ions on both the reactant and product sides. H2O is a weak electrolyte and Cl2 is a gas so not split. Also, Br2 is in molecular form so will not split.
2K+(aq) + 2BrO3-(ع) + 12 ح+(عبد القدير) + 12Cl-(aq) → 2K+(عبد القدير) + 2Cl-(عبد القدير) + 5Cl2(g) + Br2(عبد القدير) + 6H+2O (ل)
- The spectator ions are canceled out and the net ionic equation will be written as
2BrO3-(ع) + 12 ح+(عبد القدير) + 10Cl-(aq) → 5Cl2(g) + Br2(ع) + 6 ح2O (ل)
HCl + KBrO3 زوج مترافق
- The combination of HCl and KBrO3 will not constitute زوج مترافق as they do not conjugate with each other to give the products.
- The conjugate base of the acid HCl is Cl- and the conjugate acid of KBrO3 is HBrO3 (bromic acid).
HCl and KBrO3 القوى بين الجزيئات
- القوى الجزيئية في حمض الهيدروكلوريك هي London-dispersion forces و dipole-dipole interactions.
- KBrO3 عروض تفاعلات أيون ثنائي القطب as it is an ionic compound.
HCl + KBrO3 المحتوى الحراري للتفاعل
يرأس الطاقة الداخلية الكامنة of the HCl+KBrO3 reaction is negative as the products formed are more stable and have less energy than the reactants.
Is HCl + KBrO3 حل عازلة
The KBrO3 and HCl will not form a buffer solution as the hydrochloric acid is a strong acid rather than a weak acid and also the salt obtained (KCl) is a neutral salt.
Is HCl + KBrO3 رد فعل كامل
The HCl + KBrO3 reaction is a complete reaction as the products formed are soluble and do not undergo further reaction.
Is HCl + KBrO3 تفاعل طارد للحرارة أو ماص للحرارة
The reaction of KBrO3 with HCl is an تفاعل طارد للحرارة so heat is released during the reaction.
Is HCl + KBrO3 تفاعل الأكسدة والاختزال
The HCl-KBrO3 رد الفعل هو رد فعل الأكسدة.
- Here, KBrO3 يعمل كملف عامل مؤكسد by oxidizing Chlorine from -1 to a zero oxidation state.
- HCl behaves as a الحد من وكيل and reduces Bromine from +5 to a zero oxidation state.
Is HCl + KBrO3 تفاعل هطول الأمطار
The reaction between KBrO3 and HCl is not a precipitation reaction as no precipitate is observed for the reaction, all products are soluble.
Is HCl + KBrO3 رد فعل عكسي أو لا رجوع فيه
The reaction of HCl and KBrO3 is an irreversible reaction as the products obtained will not react to give back the reactants. Also, the evolution of gas makes the forward reaction feasible and no trace of the backward reaction is observed.
Is HCl + KBrO3 رد فعل الإزاحة
The reaction of HCl with KBrO3 is not a displacement reaction. This is actually a redox reaction.
KBrO3 is an effective brominating agent and is used as an additive in the food industry. The HCl-KBrO3 reaction is a redox and exothermic reaction with high synthetic application.